Thursday 26 October 2017

The Autumn Reading Tag


I recently came across The Autumn Reading Tag by Amy Jane Reads through another blog, and thought it would be fun to give it a go, so that is exactly what I'm here to do. I give you The Autumn Tag:


1. Are there any books you plan on reading over the Autumn season?

I'm hoping to read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (which I read a few pages of, and then set aside for something else), and the sequel to Me Before You (which I finished last week and loved), After You by Jojo Moyes. Beyond that, I haven't got any reads planned, but I have plenty on my to-be-read pile to choose from.


2. September brings back to school memories: what book did you most enjoy studying? And what were your favourite and least favourite school subjects?

The only book I can remember enjoying at school was Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. Even though I was an avid reader, I was bored to tears by most of the books we studied in English, such as The Crucible by Arthur Miller, and Twelfth Night by Shakespeare. Especially anything by Shakespeare; to this day,I've never understood the appeal.

My favourite subjects at school were probably English, and art, although I liked geography and history, too. My least favourites were definitely maths, science, and P.E. I was so happy when severe joint pain got me signed off P.E. for my last two years of secondary school- even if everybody thought I was just faking it for attention!


3. October means Halloween: do you enjoy scary books and films? If so, what are some of your favourites?

I love horror novels; in fact, it's probably my favourite genre to read. I often find them scarier than most horror movies. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with some classic Stephen Kings. The Stand,The Tommyknockers, Pet Sematary, Misery, and The Shining, are some of my favourites, and his short stories The Mist and The Jaunt from Skeleton Crew are well worth a read. I also love The Taking by Dean Koontz, and Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk.

As for scary movies, I enjoy them, but I wouldn't say it's my favourite genre, and I don't go out of my way to watch them often. I'd much rather curl up with a horror novel.


4. With November, it's time for bonfire night and fireworks displays. What's the most exciting book you've read that really kept you gripped?

One of my favourite page turners has to be The Stand by Stephen King. It was one of those books I became so engrossed in that I couldn't turn the pages fast enough, and I flew through it in no time, even though it's over 1400 pages long. If we're talking books I've read this Autumn, then I would have to say The Distance Between Us by Maggie O' Farrell, which is a book I read and finished a couple of weeks ago, and enjoyed so much I couldn't put it down.


5. What book is your favourite cosy comfort read?

I would have to go with The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, which also happens to be my favourite book of all time (tied with The Stand). It's so magical, unique, and beautifully written, and Niffenegger's evocative descriptions always pull me in to the changing seasons as Henry time travels, and Clare returns to the meadow. I have so much affection for it, and I love rereading it in the Autumn when it's cold outside, and the leaves begin to change. I'm tempted to reread it again soon.


6. Curled up with a good book, what is your hot drink of choice?

I'm not actually much of a hot drink drinker, and when I'm reading I usually get so engrossed in the book that I can forget to drink for hours until my mouth is as dry as the Sahara, and day has turned to night. Occasionally, I might relax with a hot chocolate, but the majority of the time, I'll just have something cold nearby.

7. Any plans you're looking forward to over the next few months?

Having absolutely no life, I haven't got anything planned for the next seventy years (how tragic is that?), so I guess I'm most looking forward to spending Christmas with my family, and enjoying all the festivities in December. I can't wait!

If you decide to have a go at the tag yourself, be sure to leave me the link to your post because I'd love to read it!

What's on your Autumn reading list?

You Might Also Like
The Ultimate Book Tag
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig