Monday 16 March 2015

Outfit | Cobalt Blue and Red Polka Dots

I'd like to introduce my new favourite dress; Matilda, the red polka dot swing-shirt-dress. She's the latest addition to my ever-growing collection of polka dot dresses, and don't tell the others, but she's quickly becoming one of my favourites.


She's one of those dresses that I fell in love with the moment I first saw her, and one I couldn't stop thinking about until I was able to snap her up. I don't know what it is, but there's just something about polka dot shirt dresses that I go crazy for, and this one tops them all. Matilda is the créme de la créme of polka dot shirt dresses, and since she's a Lindy Bop frock, I'm not surprised; their dresses are always so beautiful and high quality.

What sets Matilda apart from all the rest is that she is a swing shirt-dress, so she has an amazing full, flared skirt that gives a gorgeous silhouette, and also has plenty of room for a petticoat underneath, to make it even fuller. Unlike most shirt dresses, she is only buttoned to the waist, which I personally love because there's no worry of popping or losing a button and accidentally flashing your underwear to the world. She's made from good-quality cotton, but the fabric is still light enough to wear during the Summer. It's a sleeveless frock, too, so it's ideal for those hot sunny days. You can be sure that I'll be rocking this dress with pops of yellow when the weather gets warmer!







As it's still a bit early for wearing bright yellow, I've been wearing Matilda with bold cobalt blue, and a little bit of black. The colours of the dress and the blue pieces haven't been captured well in my photos, though. It was a cold and dull, grey day when I shot these photos, and the light kept changing from grey to dull yellow. I took over a hundred photos, but I'm not happy with how any of them came out. To be honest, I'm not pleased with the ones I'm sharing, but I decided to share them anyway, because I loved wearing this outfit and wanted to show you this dress before it sold out. So... just imagine that the dress is a really vibrant tomato red, and the blue shrug, belt, bracelet, and satchel are very bold shades of cobalt blue, because they are in real life.

I had so much fun wearing this outfit, which is just as well, as I had a nightmare with the sizing of the dress. I actually had to order Matilda three times, sizing up once more each time in determination to get the dress to fit! I  loved the dress too much to give up on it. I found my usual Lindy Bop size and the next size up too tight on the waist. They fitted nicely over the bust, but I still had problems with gaping buttons, as I always do with buttoned shirts. While I'm not very busty, I am naturally broad shouldered and chested, so I never get along with shirts. I almost always have to size up a few times to avoid gaping, so it's rare that I ever get to wear a properly fitted shirt. I'm wearing a dress three sizes larger than I generally wear here. It doesn't gape (hurray!), but it's not actually all that loose around the bust or waist. It isn't perfectly fitting, though; sizing up has meant the top button starts over the bust, and the waist is a little further down, but it's nothing that cinching in the fabric belt, and adding a stitch or two can't sort. Just bare that all in mind if you're broad shouldered or chested, and want to buy one. She really is worth persevering for, though!

She's a gem of a dress, comes in sizes 8-26 UK, and a bargain at just £29.99! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll be made in other colours; if she is, then I'd happily buy them all! I bloody love this dress!

Outfit Details

Dress- Lindy Bop // Shrug- M&Co (similar) // Satchel- ASOS // Brooch- Cath Kidston // 
Bracelet- Cath Kidston // Shoes- Fashion World* // Tights- Evans


SHARE:

15 comments

  1. I adore the cobalt, it's one of my favourite shades at the moment, so bold. The dress is beautiful too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favourite colours, too! Thank you. :) xx

      Delete
  2. I loved this dress but it just didn't work on me :( you on the other hand look fab

    B x
    www.doesmyblogmakemelookfat.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's a real shame. I think it's a difficult dress; took me three reorders to get it right. Thank you! xx

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely outfit, and so thoughtfully accessorised. I love it! Shame about the sizing issues though. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leah. I had fun putting it all together and couldn't resist going OTT with the colour. The nightmare with the sizing was worth it in the end! xx

      Delete
  5. You look lovely in that dress, it goes really nice with the blue accessories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny. I love the red and blue together, too. xx

      Delete
  6. This dress is so stunning on you, it really really suits you and I think the photos have turned out well! As always I adore your choice of colour combination, the blue and red really make each other pop - love it!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much, Hannah! I couldn't resist doing something a little bit different and trying the dress with loads of cobalt. (And probably blinding everybody in a four mile radius)! xx

      Delete
  7. Such a great frock - I love that you've paired it with blue - looks lovely xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trees. I couldn't resist wearing it with cobalt blue; it just seemed like the right thing to do. xx

      Delete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig