Tuesday 30 September 2014

It Must Have Been Love

For as long as I can remember, I've been dying to get my hands on a brown polka dot dress, just like the infamous frock Julia Roberts wore to the races in Pretty Woman. Show me a woman who didn't want that dress at one time or another!

This Summer I finally found my perfect brown polka dot dress; a swing dress by Lindy Bop, which I was able to snap up with some birthday money back in July. The fabric was far too thick and heavy for Summer, so I've had to wait until now to wear it, but it was definitely worth the wait.


The dress is beautiful, the quality is amazing, and it's so comfortable to wear. I feel great in it! The only way this dress could be better is if it was custom made to my measurements, but now I'm just being greedy!

I would have loved to have styled it like Vivian, but I don't own a boater hat, thick brown waist belt, or white shoes, and I've not owned a pair of white gloves since my first communion in 1992, so that was never going to happen. It also wouldn't have been very 'me'. This isn't the eighties anymore.

My first thought was to turn to some simple white pieces, since I'm lacking in colours which compliment brown. The dress came with the white belt, and I dug out an old cropped cardigan from New Look, which I think look okay together. Looking at these photos, I don't think the yellow polka dot ballet pumps or necklaces look great with the dress at all, but you win some, you lose some. I only chucked it together for a walk around the garden.



I need to invest in some black and tan shoes this Autumn (I have none!), and I'd like to hunt down some rust, mustard, and chocolate cardigans, jackets, and accessories to wear with this dress this Autumn and Winter. It's the perfect dress for AW because the fabric is about as thick as a medium-weight pair of jeans and it's lined, so it should keep me warm when it's freezing cold outside.

It's also wearable for every day, without looking ridiculously over-dressed, but it could be dressed up for a special occasion with a big tulle petticoat, heels, and some red lippy! I'd love to wear it with a petticoat every day, but I think I'd get a lot of odd glances in suburban Oxfordshire!





The Audrey dress comes in a huge selection of colours and patterns in sizes 8-26 for just £29.99! They are fantastically priced! I recently blogged about the red gingham and red polka dot Audreys in outfit posts, if you'd like to see them.

Outfit Details

Dress (inc. belt)- Lindy Bop // Cardigan- New Look // 
Shoes- New Look (Wide Fit) // Necklace- Rachel's giveaway


SHARE:

7 comments

  1. So beautiful - I love the dress and I think it works well with the yellow. I also like brown with pink x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks lovely Louise! Definitely a pretty woman dress! Also your hair looks amazing, have you gone a different colour or is it just the brown complimenting it? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this dress and I'm craving the colour palette you talk about too - give me all the chocolate and mustard clothes please, clothing fairies. You look fab! x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh Louise! get a petticoat! they aren't as pouffey as you would think, instead they add more structure to a dress, they are definitely a cooler weather item, when I wear mine I think they just add something 'extra'to a dress (Amazon are a lot cheaper btw) - anyhoo! your Audrey is beautiful and looks so good on you! and your hair looks fab! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous dress, it really suits you xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen pretty woman which most people can't believe but you look fab the dress is super cute xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great dress on you - I love brown! Looks especially great with the white belt and cardi :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig