Tuesday 25 December 2012

My Favourite Christmas Films

Merry Christmas one and all! I hope you're having a fabulous Christmas.

 As blogs are very quiet at the moment, I thought I'd provide you with a light-hearted festive post; something you can read if you need ten minutes peace away from the chaos. These are some of my absolute favourite Christmas films which I personally think everybody needs to watch this Christmas!

The films are in alphabetical order as I'd struggle to list them in numerical order. All screen caps are my own, apart from the Elf image (only because the DVD wouldn't play on my laptop).

Enjoy!

Christmas With the Kranks

Blair and Enrique
I only discovered Christmas with the Kranks a few years ago, and I can't believe I hadn't seen it sooner.  It's about a couple played by Jamie Lee Curtis and Tim Allen who decide to skip Christmas. Unfortunately for them, they live in a neighbourhood full of people obsessed with the holidays who aren't willing to accept this sabbatical. It's full of cheesy acting and humour, but it's fun to watch at Christmas. My favourite part is the supermarket scene with the Hickory Honey Ham!!

Deck the Halls


Deck the Halls is about rivalry. One man wants his new home to be seen from space, and determined to make it happen, he applies all his time and energy in to decorating  his property in neon Christmas lights. His neighbour, however, isn't happy about all the light and noise, and, well, as you can imagine they're at loggerheads for the majority of the movie. The cast includes Danny De Vito, Matthew Broderick, and Kristin Davis, amongst others.

Elf

[Source]

I'm not ordinarily a Will Ferrell fan, but I can't deny how brilliant he is as Buddy the Elf. He's just too cute! I'm sure you're all familiar with Elf, and if you're not, why not?! It's a fun film about an elf who travels from the North Pole to New York to find his biological Dad. Everybody thinks he's mentally challenged due to the costume and his child-like behaviour; he ends up working in a grotto along with a blonde Zooey Deschanel, and they have to restore the Christmas spirit so Santa can fly his sleigh. If you haven't seen it, you simply must!

The Family Stone


The Family Stone is my favourite grown-up Christmas movie, and my second favourite film of all time after Titanic. It's basically a film about the family gathering of one close-knit, dysfunctional family at Christmas who  (mostly) dislike the girlfriend of  whom I assume is the oldest son. It's full of awkward situations, and Christmas mayhem, and it has a phenomenal all star cast- Sarah Jessica Parker, Diane Keaton, Rachel McAdams, Claire Danes, Luke Wilson, Craig T Nelson, and Dermot Mulroney. I personally love the relationship between Luke Wilson and Sarah Jessica Parker's characters best; and he's not bad on the eye, either! I watch this film throughout the year, but at this time of the year it gets me in to the festive spirit without fail.

Home Alone 1 & 2


Home Alone and Home Alone 2 are both Christmas classics. The original is the best, but the second makes for entertaining viewing, too. As soon as I hear the theme music, I feel festive. We've watched these films every year since I was little, and it wouldn't be Christmas without them. I do love a John Hughes film!

Love Actually


I still remember the first time I saw Love Actually; it was the day after my Sister and Brother-in-Law got married nine years ago! I'm a fan of Richard Curtis's work- his humour is so my style. Love Actually always gets me in the festive spirit each time I watch it. It's festive and hilarious, and sad and heart-warming and a million other emotions all rolled in to one. If you enjoy comedy, this is the film for you! It's features lots of different storylines about different types of love told by so many great British actors. Any film with Colin Firth, Hugh Grant, and Alan Rickman in is fine by me!

Miracle on 34th Street


I've never seen the original Miracle on 34th Street in full, but I adore the nineties remake. It stars Richard Attenborough as Kris Kringle, who believes himself to be Santa Claus, and is hired by a New York department store to be their Santa. His mission is to convince a little girl (Mara Wilson) and her mother (Elizabeth Perkins) that Santa Claus is real, while defending his existence in court with the help of a rather handsome Dylan McDermott. It's a lovely family film, and I always get teary when Kris speaks in sign language with a deaf girl... if that scene doesn't melt your heart, I don't know what will!

The Muppet Christmas Carol

Light the lamp, not the rat!
Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without The Muppet Christmas Carol. I've watched it every Christmas since I was seven when my Nana gave it to us for Christmas. It's the classic Christmas Carol in Muppet form, and also stars Michael Caine as Scrooge. It's definitely the best Christmas Carol adaption every made! Such a classic!

Santa Claus The Movie


This is definitely my favourite childhood Christmas film. The movie was released the year I was born-1985, FYI- so we grew up watching this film every Christmas, and we still do today. It wouldn't be Christmas without watching it a few times in the run up to the 25th. It makes me so nostalgic for my childhood, and the bad effects and eighties film quality are perfect. I'm sure most of you are familiar with this film, but for those who aren't, just take my word for it and watch it!

The Santa Clause


The Santa Clause is a fun family film about a man who turns in to Santa Claus when he puts on the suit of the Santa who fell off his roof. His friends and family think he's gone insane, and worry about the safety of his son, who believes they went to the North Pole. It's basically a festive film about believing. It was always a magical film when I was little, and I love Tim Allen's sarcasm and dry humour. I usually watch it on Christmas Eve to get me in to the festive spirit.

Also worth watching:

Meet Me In St. Louis
White Christmas
The Holiday Inn
The Snowman
While You Were Sleeping
The Holiday
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

What is your favourite Christmas film? Do we share any of the same favourites?

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I LOVED Santa Claus the Movie. Watched 'The Holiday' the other day which is one of my current fave Xmas films and STILL haven't seen either Miracel on 34th Street OR It's a Wonderful Life. So pleased to hear that someone's else's mum was a Be-Ro book fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Santa Claus the Movie was always the best festive film! I love The Holiday, and recommend Miracle on 34th Street. The Be-Ro book makes me so nostalgic, and we all still turn to it for baking recipes now! Couldn't bake without it!

      Delete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig