Saturday 13 October 2012

I’ve been sleeping a thousand years it seems, got to open my eyes to everything

 You may notice that there's something a little different to today's outfit post. Scroll down and have a look. (In my best Rolf Harris voice)- Can you tell what it is yet?
 


 
You'd be right if you noticed my outfit photos were taken outside. They were- for the very first time!
 
 Yesterday, I found myself home alone for a whole day and most of the night. It was the first time I'd been alone for more than a few hours since I took sick leave over a year ago, as somebody is usually around to do the things I physically can't manage like cooking and fetching drinks. I had no choice but to fend for myself, and had to push myself through the pain of descending a flight of stairs to see to the Honey Bunny in the garden. (I can count on one hand, with fingers to spare, the amount of times I've been in the garden this year, and I'm confined to my bedroom 99% of the time). It was no easy feet with shaking legs and a lot of pain, but it was good to be out in the fresh air and to see my beautiful old bunny (ten and a half now, so a very old lady). I took advantage of the opportunity, and quickly posed for a few photos underneath the Honeysuckle. The fuschias looked so pretty, too, and I think the plants give a much prettier background than my bedroom walls!
 
I'm paying the price of pushing myself to do this yesterday, but it was worth it to be up and about for ten minutes.
 
I will apologise for how horrendous my hair looks in these photos. I was just out of the shower, really didn't have the strength to straighten it, and my fringe was pinned to the side as it's currently falling over my eyes. It was also quite blustery so there was just no hope for me.
 
 I felt the need to be colourful after a bad week, and off the top of my head I felt I needed to team my gorgeous new raspberry coloured bird cage print dress with a pair of teal tights. It's perhaps a little unconventional and very loud, but it was fun to wear.
 
The dress is lined and made from a thick chiffon. I'm head over heels in love with the stunning deep pink colour, and the pretty bird cage print. It has a fitted waist, and a mock collar as part of the fabric. It's very small fitting, so I'd recommend sizing up where possible. I'd normally tone down the loudness with dark tights or leggings, and probably a navy cardigan, but sometimes it's fun to wear an explosion of colour.

 
I tried the outfit with a turquoise patent skinny belt to break up the dress, and to tie the outfit together...
 
 

But I also tried it without a belt. I can't decide which way looks better. What do you think?


The pattern is of ornamental bird cages, blossom, and little garden birds, and the fabric is a very rich dark pink.



I chose to accessorize with peacock-colours, so my gemstone bracelet, and colourful oval ring were perfect for this outfit.


This dress also called for the frog prince ring I've worn so many times over the last couple of months. Best accessory I've ever bought!

 
Dress: Dorothy Perkins
Belt: Dorothy Perkins
Bracelet: Dorothy Perkins
Tights: Evans
Oval ring: Evans
Frog ring: ASOS
Nail Polish: Bourjois Paris So Laque! in rouge escarpin
 
The dress was also picked up in the mid season sale, so I'm really pleased that I managed to grab such a beautiful bargain. I was dying to purchase it as soon as it landed online back in July, so sometimes perseverance does pay off!
 
I know this won't be the last time I show you this dress this Autumn. I see myself wearing it repeatedly in less vibrant ways. I enjoy wearing colour all year round, and this dress is a perfect example of how to wear bold colours during the cold months. Autumn colours are warmer and deeper than the Summer brights, but still bold and I often find such jewel tones more inviting and wearable.
 
Do you like wearing colour in Autumn?
 
Are you brave enough to wear the colour-blocking trend?

SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Yey for getting out into the garden :) love your outfit I prefer it without the belt but looks fab either way ! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! I couldn't decide which way I liked it best xx

      Delete
  2. Love the bright colours :) Great outfit xLaura

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look great here! really bright and colourful and pretty, i love the background in these photos. kudos to you for pushing yourself to get outside, i hope you're feeling a bit better now xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Hannah! I couldn't have left my baby bunny starving all day so I had to man up for her sake. I thought I might as well kill two birds with one stone since the sun was shining. Thanks hun xx

      Delete
  4. Oh, these colors are so amazing together. I think fall needs some color, it makes me sad to see everyone wear only black or grey, and lovely jewel tones like these always brighten up my mood! I like the version with the belt best, and I love the accessories you paired with this look. Very beautiful, and nice new background, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nita! I like to see some colour too. It's good to brighten up miserable grey days. It certainly brightened my mood up that day! I think I liked it better with a belt, too. It needed something to break up the purple and tie it all together. xx

      Delete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig