Tuesday 18 September 2012

I'm always happy when I walk out the store...

I'm becoming so aware of the lack of quality posts I've been producing lately. All my plans of bringing you outfit posts keep going out of the window when I wake up and realise I'm not physically able to even sit up in bed, let alone dress and stand for photos. I was hoping to bring you an outfit post today, since I have several new frocks to wear and share, but today is another write off day. I'm sorry for not being able to keep things consistent right now... believe me when I say it frustrates me because I really do enjoy sharing my outfits and make up looks with you! 
 
So, what I shall do today is give you a sneak peek of my recent purchases without modelling them for you.
 
Let's start with my beautiful new dresses... please ignore the names on the coat hangers...
 

Over the weekend I (accidently) purchased four new dresses and I didn't even spend a fortune!
 
When I got an email about Dorothy Perkins's fifty percent sale launching online, I headed over for a browse, and found the raspberry bird cage dress I'd been salivating over for a couple of months was not only on sale but back in stock of my size. I was a little dubious of the fact the dress was made from polyester, so just in case it turned out to be hidious in the flesh, I ordered a couple of other dresses so I would be less likely to waste the delivery charge.
 
The dresses were waiting for me when I got home from hydrotherapy yesterday, and I liked all three too much to return even one. So I've kept all three. Oops. My Dad told me to keep them all, so I'll blame him!


The three dresses came to less than £55.00 with delivery, which is fantastic. I used the code DPBDAY on top of the sale prices, as it gives an additional 15% of dresses, and seems to have an unlimited use!
 
I also snapped up the beautiful oxblood red number from Matalan, which I told you about in my last post.


 
I can't resist a bright Autumn hue, pattern, or texture!



I'm in love with the delicious deep raspberry colour of the bird cage dress. It's several shades darker than magenta, and such a beautiful Autumn/Winter bright. This shade is a good example of how to slip brights in to A/W wear; A/W brights are warm toned, and more muted than the bold, vibrant colours from our Summer garments.
 
The dress feels more like chiffon than nasty slippery polyester, and sits just above the knee on me. I love the shape and fit (I advise sizing up once or twice with fitted waisted Dorothy Perkins dresses as they almost always come up small). The collar is part of the fabric instead of sewn on top. The only part of the dress I'm unsure of are the sleeves- they feel a little odd, like my bra straps have slipped down to my upper arms. The dress is just £20 on sale.
 

The design is of ornate bird cages, with little birds, and blossoming branches.


I'm so excited that oxblood is the in colour this season. It's a stunning shade of red, and appeals to me so much more than the pastels of Summer. There are so many oxblood things on my wish list, and I see myself going oxblood mad while it's adorning everything from dresses to flatforms.
 
This little beauty is a lined chiffon asymmetric dress from Matalan, and cost the ridiculously purse friendly sum of £18! I would have happily paid double. It also came with it's own black skinny plaited belt. The dress is generously sized, although I sized down as my size was out of stock which hasn't left me much room for the girls. I think I'm just used to sizing up for comfort. I feel this dress compliments my figure, and I feel really good in it.



This bow print dress doesn't look so good on the hanger- I couldn't get it to hang right, but it's a beautiful dress, and moulds to my shape without clinging. It's made from jersey, so I sized up as I personally feel so uncomfortable in fabrics which cling and accentuate the lumps and bumps. The waist is stretchy instead of fitted, and falls to just above the knee on me. The wrap-style skirt gives such a classic, feminine shape, and the print is so pretty. The dress is on sale for just £17.00.




The fourth and last dress of the week is this navy ottoman flare dress, which was the hardest to photograph to it's full potential. It has a textured appearance which hasn't been picked up well by the camera. The fabric is a thick cotton, and with the elbow length sleeves it provides the warmth of a sweater, so will be perfect for layering this Autumn. The waist also has some stretch, and the neckline has a slight scoop neck. When I bought the dress, only one size was left and I think I bought it on sale, but they seem to have restocked it since then. It's just £22.00 full price. I'd like it in Aubergine, as well.


Here's a cheeky shot of my wardrobe which is now three quarters dresses, one quarter cardigans!


 
And yesterday I made it to a real life Superdrug for the first time in many moons, and treated myself to a few nail polishes. I've been trying to branch out from the reds, corals, and pinks I used to stick to on my finger nails, and on this occasion I was drawn to dark blues and purples.
 
I eventually narrowed down my options to Maxfactor's Max Effect Mini Nail Polish in 45 Fantasy Fire, which is a stunning iridescent purple with shimmers of green, gold, red, and blue in it; Barry M's Nail Paint in 312 Indigo, a bright cobalt blue; and a MUA nail varnish in shade 1. The labels are a little faded on the MUA polish so I'm not sure if it has a name, too. It's a gorgeous very dark navy/black mix with a teal shimmer.
 
I've never used a Maxfactor or MUA nail polish before, so I'm really excited to try these. I can't believe the MUA polish was just a £1! I would have bought a green glitter crackle varnish, too, but I've spent far too much this week! So I have that on the list for next time.
 
All of these purchases have me all excited for Autumn/Winter. I'm loving the darker colour palettes, and all the incredible new things to choose from. I was hoping to buy the ASOS bow collar, but as I spent far more on dresses than I was intending to, it's going to have to wait another week.
 
Have you started buying for A/W yet? Do you own these dresses too, or have you tried these nail polish shades before?
 

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. i love the bird dress its so you i bet it looks fab on ! i hope your ok big hugs :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you. I really love the colour and will do a post with it soon. I'm alright- still breathing. Thanks for the hugs! xx

      Delete

I love reading all your lovely comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment or a question below! I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig